Monday, July 6, 2009

Gourmet Ferrets

My internet connection has been down (the missus didn't pay the bill on time and we were disconnected :/ ), and I haven't been able to read the FML (Ferret Mailing List) for a couple days. First thing I read was Maren's post. I was bewildered, disgusted, and outraged at the situation she described. You can read it for yourself below:

_________________

Maren's FML post:

Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 12:52:04 -0400
From: Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary in Hernando, MS
[email removed for spam prevention]
Subject: Literally From The "Jaws of Death"

I am still in shock. I still cannot believe all of this myself and I thought that I had seen everything. Until yesterday...

On Wednesday morning, I received a call from a girl "Nancy" who said her friend's boyfriend had several large snakes and claimed that the boyfriend had been given a pair of ferrets over the weekend from a friend of his who got them from another friend who was losing their house and gave up, not only their ferrets, but two cats. (I held my breath for what I hoped I would not hear next...) And she overheard the two boys at the house talking about having some friends over for Saturday, the day they were to feed the ferrets to the snakes. OMG! I thought I was going to throw up. by the end of the conversation with Nancy, I was crying.

This is something you hoped and prayed was not going on out there but feared that it not only could, but did.... and now it was happening in my "backyard." I had to stop it ....! Whatever it took, I was going to get those ferrets! (oh yeah, BTW, I have a carry permit and have learned in this town, you better be prepared)

"Nancy" reluctantly gave me her friend's cell number and I convinced this friend to give me the address and name of the guy that had the snakes, the ferrets, and the cats. I risked my job and went there during my lunch hour knowing I was not going to leave without the ferrets or the cats!! It turned out they are kittens, about 3 months of age. The ferrets are male and female - a pair of black sables about 3 years of age. I was lucky...the boyfriend was there and the kittens and the ferrets were still alive and on the premises. And, so were about two dozen snakes of all sizes...... ugh! I hate snakes and really, really fear them ... and to have so many in the house and for me to be in that house with them took every bit of strength that I had ... I was literally shaking. I felt like all of the color had rushed out of my body but I had to get these kids out and now....

I called police dispatch (on speed-dial) and a cruiser came out and we all discussed the situation. The police refused to do anything. I was at my wit's end so I offered him money - I don't buy ferrets but I finally convinced him to take $250 for the kittens and the ferrets. I called Joe and he took out all of our savings ... but lives were saved. This all took about 2 1/2 hours and I still have a job, thankfully. (and, just like most of you out there, I always carry two carriers with bottles and what-not in my car at all times and so I was prepared for travel)

I am now contacting my state representatives in an attempt to add to existing laws or initiate legislation in this state to prohibit this sort of activity. Not sure if I will be successful or even what this legislation would look like for the state legislature to debate on -- or, for that matter, even what my legal precedents are, but I am not going to sit by anymore and hope this does not happen. In this state, there are many friends and supporters of animal rights issues and I have already gained some preliminary interest amongst two legislators. And, I am sure anything that we might propose WILL BE met with opposition by businesses engaged in perpetuating this type of activity - namely Petco who sell "feeder mice" and other small animals. Trust me, Petco will argue the interference with business (federal Interstate Commerce Clause) defense and use their lobbyists against any proposed legislation that might reduce their profit margin. Petco's motto of "pets come first" (or something of that nature) is hypocritical and the reason I have not done any business with them in years. I just can't take it - going into their stores, seeing the kits and watch people buy feeder mice. I just can't...what a horrible death for those poor things ...!

The kittens and the fuzzies are at the vet office today for examination and assessment.

I am still hoping to wake up from this nightmare ... still trying to believe that people are not this evil and humans with kind hearts still exist.

Maren Doshier Founder/President Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary Hernando, MS (and surrounding areas)"

Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 15:05:50 -0400
From: Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary in Hernando, MS
[email removed for spam prevention]
Subject: Whoops - left out something!

I forgot to include in my previous narrative this bit of information and, after emailing a few folks about this rescue off the FML, I decided to include the details just in case anyone else out there should ever, God forbid!, have this situation come up where they had to "do something" also.

The federal laws will not allow anyone to record telephone conversations...however, you are allowed by law to tape record an active-live conversation. No, you don't have to notify them either. When I showed up at this creep's house, a tape recorder was going and I had already recorded date, time, location, and nature of recording. So, when the police arrived. I met them with the recording of this idiot admitting to the ferrets, cats (kittens), and snakes. This idiot at first denied everything but when the subject of money came up, the truth came out - enough so that the one officer told this guy that I had a tape recording of our conversation and, even though he did not have authority to arrest him, he URGED him to sell me the kittens and the ferrets and avoid possible criminal prosecution for animal cruelty and abuse since I had him on the record as admitting he was going to feed the ferrets to the snakes on Saturday (but he would not admit to having an audience nor would admit to using the kittens as bait).

Both officers stayed with me to ensure the ferrets and kittens were surrendered once the money arrived. Both officers also surveyed the house and the snakes and were visibly appalled. I think that is the real reason they too wanted the kittens and the ferrets out of there - if this guy was not going to use the kittens and ferrets as bait for his, ugh snakes, then what were they there for? It was more than obvious to anyone that this guy was into snakes and clearly not a "warm and fuzzy" pet owner. He had no provisions for the ferrets or the kittens and kept the kittens in a small dog kennel and the ferrets in a large aquarium - probably used for a snake before the ferrets showed up. So, his story along with my recording proved this idiot was not being truthful.

I have the officer's written report (this morning) and the recording and have approached Judge Potter (also this morning) with all of this and hope to not only work with state legislators but want this guy prosecuted for something and the snakes, well.....destroyed or relocated to a sanctuary for such creatures.

Maren Doshier
_________________

Subsequent reply and more horrors:

Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 07:52:02 -0500
From: zoosferretsanctuary
[email removed for spam prevention]
Subject: Re: Literally From The "Jaws of Death"

Maren, your post struck a note in my heart. This was the issue, years ago, which affected our decision not to adopt out to the general public.

Unfortunately, feeding ferrets to snakes is somewhat common out there :(

Our story dates back to November of 1998. At that time, we had only rescued 6 or 7 ferrets. We were very new at the whole thing--and very in love with ferrets already. We had rescue cards printed up, and placed them at a couple of pet stores, and hung them on some bulletin boards.

One afternoon, I was at Petco, buying food for the ferrets, when I noticed a college kid wearing an NIU sweatshirt. He was standing at the hexagon ferret tank, looking at the baby ferrets. (We are about 20-25 minutes from Northern Illinois University) I approached him, and started up a conversation.

"Aren`t they cute?" I gushed. He said "I`m waiting for them to go on sale. They`re gourmet, you know." I shot him a look, thinking he was joking--but he was dead serious, and continued on. "Yeh--when they go on sale, I pop for one for my snake sometimes. He loves them. And me & my friends look in the paper for the `Free to good home` ads too--we get a lot of them that way" He told me what kind of snake he had, and what kind of snakes a couple of his friends had. (I can`t remember what they were now.)

I have a pretty strong stomach, but , like you, Maren, I thought I was going to hurl, right there, in the middle of the store!!!

During the drive home, I envisioned a poor little ferret, pleading for help from the human who had placed it in the enclosure with a snake. Knowing the danger it was in---and no way out...

A few weeks later, we got a call at 9:00pm. A male voice said to my husband "Yeh--How late are you open. I need a ferret"

Kurt said "Oh, that`s my wife`s department. Here"--and handed me the phone. I asked him if he would like to come the next day & meet our babies, and began to talk about them. He interrupted me, saying "Never mind." and hung up.

At that point, Kurt & I decided that Zoo`s Ferret Sanctuary would not be adopting out to the general public. We only send them home with people we know & trust.

I realize that snakes have to eat too---they just won`t be eating OUR kids.

Bless your heart for saving those babies, Maren.

All our best to Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary.

Love, Zoo


_________________

I am still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that this kind of thing happens. I have written my own two cents to people who would torture, torment, or kill animals for their own entertainment...

To those inclined to pit smaller/weaker animals against bigger/stronger animals, just so you can watch the most savage act of nature acted out in the comfort of your living room - I have something to say to you:

Buy a ticket to somewhere wild. When you get there, don't stay at a nice hotel. Get off the plane and keep walking until you see no more beings that look like yourself, preferably in the jungle somewhere. You are now in the environment of that which you admire. Good. Now strip off your clothes and shoes. Don't worry about getting scratched up, or getting sores on your feet. Shoes, clothes - they are for wimps, certainly not for those who enjoy the rawness of nature.


Keep walking until you are thirsty. Drink from the nearest stream or body of water. Don't worry about microorganisms, or getting sick - nothing small can hurt *you*. You are in the wild. There is no time for this kind of worry in the wild, only the most primal instincts. That is what you admire, right? Keep on walking until you are deep in the wild and totally alone. This is the life, huh?


Walk a bit more, until you come across that which you most admire - a predator of some kind. Lions, bears, wolves - it doesn't matter, does it? That's what you came here for - to be with the strong and the powerful. Are you hungry yet? Good. So are they. It will be such a gallant struggle to see who comes out on top. Aren't you excited? They can smell that you are. But not to worry. It will be a fair fight. You will not be confined to a cage or an aquarium. Neither will they. Now is your chance to witness nature firsthand, to be a part of it in all it's glorious savagery. Only the strongest will survive...


Isn't this great? Aren't you liking this? Wait - why not? You're helpless and afraid, you say? You want your shoes and clothes back, a nice hot shower, and a comfortable bed, you say? Not *really* liking the savagery of nature now, are you?


Think about that, you sorry bastard, the next time you get the urge to entertain yourself with another being's helplessness. Remember what it felt like to be sore and tired, thirsty and hungry, helpless and afraid. You are not so different from them when it comes to those things. The only way that you *are* different is.. well, unspeakable and incomprehensible. You have lost something along the way. And I am miserably ashamed of you.




No comments:

Post a Comment