Sunday, May 10, 2009

Music for Ferrets and Other Divine Beings

I wrote Navi's Song for Nava, an older sable-colored female ferret who was one of my favorites. I was standing in my front doorway trying to lure a stray dog close enough to where I could feed it, and somehow Navi slipped out. She wandered over to the next door neighbor's house where they kept pit bulls. Although we didn't see it, we think one of the pit bulls grabbed her in his mouth and shook her. She was still alive but in shock, and we rushed her to the vet's. The vet on call was a young new vet and he did everything he could to save her, but she just slipped away. Navi was my shining star, and for months I would look up into the night sky and wonder where she was off to. I picture my song as her journey to the Bridge, both sad and mysterious, yet hopeful.

Chase You was written for a fellow ferret owner (Alexandra) who had two ferrets named Ping and Puma. Ping had playfully nipped their dog (The Noble Alice Chompers) as he had done for years, but for whatever reason (Alice was old, arthritic, and in pain) she bit him. Ping died of his injuries, but as tragic as that was it did not end there. Puma, his mate, could not be without him. She literally patrolled the house every day for over a week looking for him, sleeping where she found his scent, and stopped eating until she literally starved herself to death. My friend tried everything, including hand-feeding, but Puma was not interested in food, only in finding her Ping. She was determined above everything else to find her Ping - and sadly she did. Such is the bond of ferrets. I could not get the story out of my head for months. Here are the lyrics:

Chase You

Wherever you go I'll go, too
You chase me and I will chase you
Wherever you go I'll go, too
You chase me and I will chase you

Wherever you go, please take me
I'll chase you, and you can chase me
Wherever you go, please take me
I'll chase you, and you can chase me

I miss you so much every day
I feel the sun on my face
But I just can't play... play without you.

Really don't wanna play
Really don't wanna play
Don't wanna play without you
Really don't wanna play....

Wherever you go I'll go, too
You chase me and I will chase you.

My latest song has a tentative title... The Back Way. I think it is one of my prettiest songs, simple and elegant. You can tell that my music has been influenced by Ottmar Liebert, a nuevo flamenco guitar player from Santa Fe (who is a world renowned musician).

Probably the thing I do best on this planet is write music. I am working on a collection of music called The Bridge. Ferret people (and other animal people) will understand what that is ;) All of my music is done digitally on keyboards (including all guitars, acoustic and electric). I use an old Korg Triton Studio and a newer Roland Fantom G7 and record them digitally to my computer. All tracks were played, programmed and sequenced by me ;)

I hope you like what I do. If you would like to hear future music or tell me what you think, you can leave a comment or easily find me on Twitter as @hoomin.

No comments:

Post a Comment